Thursday 21 March 2013

Becoming part of a bigger community

Writing can be a lonesome profession. One of the ways we can counteract that, is to become part of a writing community - whether it be through writers groups, courses or online activities. I think I've mentioned before, I never feel lonely when I receive my daily email from The Write Practice. It's run by Joe Bunting in the United States and every day literary gems and idea seeds come sailing into my inbox - so there's never any excuse for writers' block. Joe is also running an online course to help writers get published and make some money out of their work. You can find it on storycartel.com/courseinfo

In the meantime, I have been busy at the "lathe" - polishing up some short stories I will be sending away to competitions by the end of next week. I have also been part of that writing community - reading a manuscript  of historical fiction called The Wykehamist by John Besley. It's set in "frontier Queensland" and a well-researched, well-written page-turner so far. I'm sure he'll find a publisher for his work very soon. And who knows, maybe John can do the same for me one day when I finally finish my own historical fiction, Daughters of the Water.

No comments:

Post a Comment