Thursday 14 February 2013

Saying "no" to nothing

I remember when the late great Australian actor Bud Tingwell died, Aussie director Tom Gleisner said: "He never said no to anything." This gracious attitude made him a mentor to many and kept him in steady work for most of his life, in an industry that can be fickle and difficult.
Not that I'm comparing myself to the wonderful Bud, but I think it's good advice. Now, I'm not advocating you should sign up for the P & C or tuckshop duty. Rather, this year, one of my "resolutions", that is, a way that I can help myself become a better person and writer, is to say "yes" more often and see where it takes me.
Well, it seems the universe is listening.
Last week, I agreed to read a colleague's historical fiction manuscript and provide feedback, last night I said I'd be pleased to tutor a Year 12 student in English, and today, I said "yes" to being MC for the annual Australian Yoga Conference held here in Brisbane in April. All great opportunities to further my craft, help others, and help me grow as a person.
Of course, I'm writing this while completing my own historical fiction, while keeping an eye on up-and-coming short story competitions, so needless to say, this new mindset will make me a very busy person. "Family First" vies for position on our fridge alongside "Always do your best" as part of our family values. So I will be doing all of those things, all the while supporting my husband and children, while remembering to breathe, and say: "Om".

No comments:

Post a Comment