Thursday 14 June 2012

Grenfell - a small town with a big heart

It's back home and back to my desk after travelling to the lovely NSW town of Grenfell to collect the Harold Goodwin Memorial Statuette for my short story 'Why Don't Elephants Smoke?' I am thrilled to win my first writing award and I have the statuette, based on Henry Lawson's 'The Drover's Wife', looking over my shoulder as I write this post.
While my Mum, Jan, my daughter, Ella, and I were in Grenfell, we were treated to a concert showcasing local musical talent at the Henry Lawson High School and we were moved by Steven Tandy reading Henry Lawson at the awards night. Steven managed to weave the narrative of Henry's life, including all his loves and flaws, with the great poet/writer's works -- beautifully presented, highly informative and deeply moving.
I was fortunate to meet Henry Lawson Festival Patron Dr Hilarie Lindsay MBE OAM who, as an active 90-year-old lady, is nothing short of inspiring. I wish I had half of Hilarie's wit and energy. I should also mention the kindness of Pam Livingstone who looked after us at Strayleaves B & B -- a host who went the extra mile to make sure we were comfortable and well-fed when temperatures at night dipped below zero.
 Grenfell is a country town of approximately 4000 people, a three-hour drive from Canberra and six hours from Sydney. It's a picturesque town brimming with history as the birthplace of Henry Lawson and the haunt of bushranger Ben Hall. But what really struck me at the weekend is the warmth, courtesy and friendliness of Grenfell residents. I can't wait to head back there one day soon -- it's a small town with a big heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment